Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Re: [gNewSense-users] Webapps infrastructure

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Re: [gNewSense-users] Webapps infrastructure
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 21:34:38 +0200

Karl Goetz schreef:
On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 09:42:12 -0400
Jean Schurger <address@hidden> wrote:

What do we *need*?
- Wiki (community editable)
- Bug tracking system
- 'locked' website (eg, all our existing www. sites)
- supports translations cleanly
- all items must integrate
- A gmane thingy (what are these services called?)
- We have to be able to migrate all our existing data into the new
tools (preferably with data intact)

What would be *desirable* (vs needed)?
- no track record of regular, large security issues
- scalable
- well documented
- integrates with RCSs (svn+bzr+git as a minimum)
- for the BTS, email interface
- web interface

I would recommend 'trac' or 'redmine'

Trac I've worked with - briefly - redmine in new to me.

I've also played around with Trac a bit. I really liked it.

about trac: (http://trac.edgewall.org/)

 advantages:

  - writen in python, so it easy to understand, write plugins,...

This is particularly nice, as the language its in doesn't need patching
every second day either...

I'm dabbling a bit in Python. Having more Python stuff in/around gNS might give me some fun itches to scratch. I also think we're more likely to attract contributors that know Python than those that know Ruby.

Trac supports UTF-8 properly, which will please the translators. I guess Ruby also supports it.

I found a plug-in that adds an e-mail interface [2].

<snip>
 drawbacks:

The only thing I could find about moving from pmwiki to trac was a message on laconica-dev [1]. Laconica is on Trac now, so they seem to have managed it. I can't find how they did it, though.

I'm not sure about scalability. Before 0.10 Trac only supported SQLite, which may or may not be an indication of its backend performance.

about redmine: (http://www.redmine.org/)

The feature list gives a very mature impression, but I've never heard of it.

[1] http://mail.laconi.ca/pipermail/laconica-dev/2008-July/000169.html
[2] https://subtrac.sara.nl/oss/email2trac