[Gnewsense-dev] lemote yeeloong update info

From: Graziano Sorbaioli
Subject: [Gnewsense-dev] lemote yeeloong update info
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 15:38:44 +0100

A brief summary of what I did recently.

a) I contacted Lemote to tell them to organize their resources on
www.lemote.com/software and www.lemote.com/upfiles in a better way.

Still waiting for a response.

b) I talked with some guys on the #beijinglug freenode irc channel about
my issues with the Yeeloong.

1) It's possible that Lemote decided to follow a different path when
they upgraded their os.

I think they decided to switch from debian + gnome + languages  to
debian + kde + easymode gui + chinese only IMHO.

Other discoveries:

OS_1.1.0:

http://www.lemote.com/software/8.9inch/loonux/V1.1.0/

http://www.lemote.com/upfiles/8089_OS_v1.1.0/

(this second one is identical to the first one but it has one more file:
help.pdf that is the USB8089 rescue procedure pdf file).

OS_1.1.1:

http://www.lemote.com/upfiles/8089_OS_v1.1.1/

I tested both.
They seem quite the same thing.

The wifi didn't function by default for me in the 1.1.0 as it did in the
1.1.1.

Both of them have the easy mode gui that I don't like.

If Lemote will carry on this path as the "official" os for the Lemote I
will not follow it.

I prefer to investigate the real debian mips thing.

On the #beijinglug freenode irc channel, "freeflying__" told me that

- - debian's kernel dosen't support yeelong yet

- - only two things you need to modify for yeelong if you wanna use debian
direclty
one is the kernel, and the other is graphic card driver
so you can forget those provided by lemote
just follow some articles from wiki.debian.org or orther website
for the graphic driver, you can use the one from git on freedesktop

AND THAT:

<freeflying__> graziano: interesting, I'm also porting ubuntu to mipsel

I asked him and other Beijing GNU/Lug people that they can join us if
interested.

I really hope so.

- --
Graziano Sorbaioli -- www.sorbaioli.org
Join the Free Software Foundation: http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=7201
Supporters will receive our new USB membership card with gNewSense Live