gnats-prs

gnats/18: Re: gnats/18: Distribute docs in HTML, DVI, PS and PDF formats

From: bug-gnats
Subject: gnats/18: Re: gnats/18: Distribute docs in HTML, DVI, PS and PDF formats
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 14:55:01 -0600 (CST)

The following reply was made to PR gnats/18; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Chad Walstrom <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 14:48:11 -0600

 Here are the increase in the distribution file size (before
 compression) as of the documents in question:

        PDF: 887K
        PS: 1.16M
        DVI: 488K
        HTML: 952K

 info files come in at a whopping 318K and are viewable by any text
 editor as well as the info viewer.  It turns out to be relatively easy
 to specify other document formats to distribute, but the question
 remains, "How large should we allow the distribution file to be?"

 I personally don't see any improvement in viewing HTML documents over
 info docs, and the bloat from PDF, PS, and DVI files is probably
 unnecessary.  I would simply stick with the *.info files.

 Is there any opinion amongst our user-base regarding what
 documentation to distribute in the tarball?  Keep in mind, you can
 always run "make pdf" or "make html" to create the documentation.

 --
 Chad Walstrom <address@hidden>           http://www.wookimus.net/