gnats-prs

pending/538: GNATS should support relative date queries (pending)

From: bug-gnats
Subject: pending/538: GNATS should support relative date queries (pending)
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 09:25:01 -0600 (CST)

>Number:         538
>Category:       pending
>Synopsis:       GNATS should support relative date queries
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
GNATS should allow a date query relative to the current date. I understand I
can query with an expression that includes an explicit date, but such queries
make little sense when saved.

For example, I might wish to see every PR that arrived today. If I construct a
query using today's date and save it, I can't use the same query tomorrow to
show me the PRs that arrived that day. Instead, I have to construct a new query
each day.

I'd like to be able to specify a date like "-5" -- meaning five days prior to
today ("-0" could mean today).

Chad Walstrom points out that the use of descriptive time units similar to
at(1) would probably be preferable:

<Quote>
The equivalent line in at(1) would be: "at now - COUNT TIME_UNITS" or "at now -
5 days".  In addition to the "now" alias, there are "yesterday", "tomorrow",
and "midnight", "noon", and even "teatime". Time units can be "minutes",
"hours", "days", or "weeks". To translate that into query-pr syntax:

        $ query-pr --expr 'Arrival-Date="today"'

or
        $ query-pr --expr 'Arrival-Date<"now - 3 hours"
</Quote>