gnats-prs

pending/504: gnatsd crashes when trying to lock a nonexistent PR (pendin

From: Alex
Subject: pending/504: gnatsd crashes when trying to lock a nonexistent PR (pending)
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 16:29:05 -0500 (CDT)

>Number:         504
>Category:       pending
>Synopsis:       gnatsd crashes when trying to lock a nonexistent PR
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
 I'm using version 4.1.0

 How to reproduce:

 $ ./gnatsd
 210 User access level set to 'edit'
 gnatsd: user 'alex' connected to database default
 lock 2 alex 1234

 Cannot allocate 4294967294 bytes after allocating 6279808 bytes

 I've tracked the problem to be in pr.c function get_pr_path;
 please explain the "else" clause of the first "if" statement:
 What is the purpose of calling getCategoryFromIndex if "pr" is null ?
 I put "return NULL" as a hack inside that else, and resolved this problem
 (I now get "No PR 2 listed in the index").
 get_pr_path gets always called after get_pr_from_index. If a PR is not in
 the index, why does it bother with calling getCategoryFromIndex ?
 In fact getCategoryFromIndex is only called by get_pr_path, and only when
 the PR is not in the index (pr == NULL). What is the purpose trying to
 find the category of a prnum that is not in the index?

 Thanks,
 Alex

 if (pr != NULL)
      {
        category = field_value (pr, CATEGORY (database));
      }
    else
      { ### WHY NOT RETURN NULL HERE ??? <<<<<<<<<<<<<<
        categoryFromIndex = getCategoryFromIndex (database, prnum, err);
        category = categoryFromIndex;
      }