gnats-prs

gnats/123: g77 errors when compiling statement functions

From: tomek
Subject: gnats/123: g77 errors when compiling statement functions
Date: 8 Dec 2000 00:16:14 -0000

>Number:         123
>Category:       gnats
>Synopsis:       g77 errors when compiling statement functions
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Thu Dec 07 16:24:00 PST 2000
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     address@hidden
>Release:        unknown-1.0
Dear GNU People:

I would like to report the following problem with Fortan compilation
on SGI Indigo2 running IRIX 6.5. The g77 version is
GNU Fortran 0.5.25 19991024 (release).

Code:

      program single
      implicit none
      complex  z
      real     f
      f(z) = cabs(z)
      end

Command line:

g77 -c single.f

Output:

single.f: In statement function `f':
single.f:4: Unable to access real part of complex value in a hard register on
this target

On the other, the code

      program double
      implicit none
      complex*16 z
      real*8     f
      f(z) = zabs(z)
      end

compiles without any errors.

We came across this problem trying to compile the BLAS package - it occurs for
several statement functions there.

We would appreciate any comments, and perhaps some way of circumventing the
problem other than rewriting the code (maybe some compilation options?).

Thanks -

Thomas Jaroszewicz
address@hidden