Re: [Gnash] [Newbie!] Need info: compiling for Win32 and Win32-Firefox p

From: Dossy Shiobara
Subject: Re: [Gnash] [Newbie!] Need info: compiling for Win32 and Win32-Firefox plugin
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 19:33:30 -0400

Hi, Nicholas,

Nicholas W. Karels wrote:
FIRST: I see the binary for the standalone player for Win32. Does that mean that the mozilla plugin doesn't work there (W32) yet? or, will a build-from-source (of course configured properly) produce one that should?

As the current producer of the Win32 binaries for Gnash, let me try to give an answer - the npgnash plugin for Win32 "works" for very, very liberal definition of "works" - it executes, but is pre-alpha quality. This is why I haven't included it in the binary release, yet.

I have at my disposal:
MS Visual Studio 9 installed, can install 8 if necessary
Cygwin, last used to build a development snapshot of VLC Media Player
All the usual development tools on the Linux box.

I build using MinGW/MSYS.

Where is, or who has, the Latest and Greatest notes on building for Win32? I'll do whatever of the three work best:: MSVC, gcc-cygwin, or gcc (Linux).

Ha, notes? The only notes I've ever seen for building Gnash on Win32 were: "Kids, don't try this at home." :-)

If you're comfortable building stuff from source (i.e., configure && make) then building on Win32 is simply a matter of obtaining and/or building _all_ of Gnash's dependencies - and, there's a lot of 'em.

I've already gone through all the trouble of getting it to compile on Win32 using MinGW/MSYS. There's periodically changes that break the build on Win32 but every once in a while I'll try to tackle them to get it building again.

If all you want are binaries, I'll be happy to provide them for you in some way. If you intend to hack on the code - well, then, I wish you the best of luck! Come join us on IRC (irc.freenode.net/#gnash) to discuss in real-time.

--
Dossy Shiobara              | address@hidden | http://dossy.org/