[Gnash] Fw: License-Free Spec

From: Dâniel Fraga
Subject: [Gnash] Fw: License-Free Spec
Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 02:13:43 -0300

Adobe is announcing the Open Screen Project today. The press release
mentions that it deals with "driving rich Internet experiences across
televisions, personal computers, mobile devices, and consumer
electronics." However, I can guarantee that the part of this
announcement that will be of most interest to Linux/open source fans is
likely to be these items: Removing restrictions on use of the SWF and
FLV/F4V specifications Publishing the Adobe Flash® Cast™ protocol and
the AMF protocol for robust data services

Note that this is not about open sourcing the Flash Player (although a
non-negligible portion of the Flash Player code is already open
source). However, the previous restriction that anyone who looks at the
spec technically isn't allowed to create an independent SWF decoder (if
documentation EULAs are to be believed) was a point of contention among
many open source types. No more click-through EULA embedded in the
actual PDF, or so I've been reliably informed.

And if I can find the new documents (there's the traditional SWF spec,
while the FLV and new F4V formats have been split out into a new
document) on the vast corporate website, I will be sure to link to
them. I'm not even sure if they're posted yet. But I'm sure my loyal
readers will post links in the comments if they can locate them first.

--
Linux 2.6.25: Funky Weasel is Jiggy wit it
http://u-br.net