[Gnash] Re: Article: Gnash Flash player reaches milestone, not destinati

From: Dâniel Fraga
Subject: [Gnash] Re: Article: Gnash Flash player reaches milestone, not destination
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 22:25:52 -0300

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 18:50:53 -0600
Rob Savoye <address@hidden> wrote:

>   We realize "everyone" wants Gnash to be done already, but at least we
> *are* working on a solution. For many of us Gnash is our primary swf
> plugin, we know all to well all it's faults. If you want to see Gnash
> get more usable faster, donate money, equipment, or talk friends into
> becoming Gnash developers.

        Ok, how much money would be needed to Gnash support the sites I
list above? For example MySpace, Tom's Hardware videos, Yahoo Live,
DailyMotion, Metacafe etc.

        Because I could try to raise all the money needed on
fundable.org if you say (and we have a warrant) that the focus would
change to support those sites. But I'd neeed a formal compromise that
it would be done (and the time it would take). Otherwise it wouldn't be
worth the money. Of course the philosophy of free software is
important, but in the end, it's more important to have a completely
functional player. Otherwise it would be just an experiment that
doesn't serve any purpose because it won't work in the real life.

        Ps: in my opinion, as a plain *user*, the 2 main advantages of
Gnash over the official player are:

1) Gnash can be compiled, mainly in 64 bit

2) Gnash can use OpenGL

        I know there aren't many developers, but Gnash must use its
advantage position now to compete more agressively with Adobe's flash
player, otherwise Adobe could decide to support 64 bit and OpenGL
leaving Gnash with the only advantage of being free software (and
although free software is a good thing, it isn't sufficient to be free
software. It has to be good and work as the user need).

        But I think it's *completely fair* to ask for money as long as
there's a compromise to support the features/sites we ask. In my
opinion, I'd pay if there's a compromise of supporting more video
sites (that's what's more important for me right now).

--
Linux 2.6.24: Arr Matey! A Hairy Bilge Rat!
http://u-br.net http://www.abusar.org/FELIZ_2008.html