Re: [Gnash] Gnash soaks up X client connections?

From: John Gilmore
Subject: Re: [Gnash] Gnash soaks up X client connections?
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 23:30:39 -0700

> Does this look suspicious?
>         address@hidden ~]$ ll /proc/12298/fd/
> (and 58 open files come out -- many of which are sockets or pipes).

It sure looks suspicious to *me*.

Because many of these open files are Mozilla cache files, Firefox
chrome, and such, I suspect that the gnash plugin is being forked by
mozilla without closing all its file descriptors.  Perhaps
gnash should run around and close them before it starts.

Hmm, on a single gnash process that I have lying around here, I find
at least a dozen file descriptors open for /dev/urandom!  And the same
ones are open in my firefox process.  Seems there's a bit of
sloppiness in firefox's own file descriptor closing.  And then we
inherit all of them.

Yep, in plugin/plugin.cpp, we fork, and then exec gnash, without closing
any file descriptors except stdin.  Should be straightforward to fix.
If nobody else gets to it, I'll do it after internationalization.

        John