Re: [Gnash] gnash error handling when there is ActionScript error

From: strk
Subject: Re: [Gnash] gnash error handling when there is ActionScript error
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 22:51:43 +0100

On Sun, Feb 11, 2007 at 05:35:29PM +0000, Martin Guy wrote:
> 2007/2/11, strk <address@hidden>:
> >On Sat, Feb 10, 2007 at 11:34:35PM -0600, ying lcs wrote:
> >> Can you please tell me what does gnash do when there is an error
> >> during ActionScript execution? e.g. it encounters a action script
> >> which is not implemented?
> >
> >It can raise a warning if a method is invoked which is not provided:
>
> Unfortunately, unimplemented built-in AS methods are passed over
> silently by default.

Not all of them, but many surely do.
When we knew we were supposed to provide a method, but we didn't implement
it then a FIXME message should appear.

> Unfortunately some unimplemented methods do not even have
> "unimplemented" stubs; they are just totally and silently missing,
> despite what the Unimplemented wiki might say.

Yep, in this case they would appear exactly the same as a call
to a generic missing function (like it was an ActionScript coding error).

> If it's not possible at runtime to distinguish unimplemented
> predefined methods and unimplemented user-supplied AS methods, this
> might be one reason to make verbose reporting of calls to
> unimplemented AS methods the default when -v since they are not AS
> coding errors, but gnash errors.

It is not possible to distinguish them, but enabling the verbosity
should be pretty simple, or it might actualy be already activated
by -v (log_error and log_warning are). In any case, setting up
a .gnashrc is not a big deal if your debugging Gnash or a flash
movie.

> I have yet to figure out where to do this...

It's a setting of RcFile (libbase/rc.h).

--strk;