Re: [Gnash] Gnash Video Codecs?

From: Markus Gothe
Subject: Re: [Gnash] Gnash Video Codecs?
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2006 13:06:46 +0100

Martin Guy wrote a good reply on the issue.

//Markus

Dave Crossland wrote:
Hi Rob!

Thanks for the quick reply!

On 09/12/06, Rob Savoye <address@hidden> wrote:
Dave Crossland wrote:

> "Gnash stuff is a nonstarterĂ¢?Å  if you read their lists, they're talking
> about which other codecs they should use (that don't match the world's
> content), and whether FFMpeg might help them (Adobe staff contributed
> to FFMpeg and know it won't)"

   We never talked about which codecs, we support Gstreamer and ffmpeg,
so we support whatever codec those support, although right now the
ffmpeg support works better.

Okay - so when Gnash is 1.0, the video sites like YouTube and Google
Video and such will play with it?

Most of the discussion was on which which
library to use, so we decided to support several.

Cool! :-)

I don't think this
blogger is really paying attention, and I'm not sure what the BBC uses.

The BBC uses Real and Windows Media, and the originally blog poster
suggested they use Flash because "It's the end of 2006 and the online
video format wars are over. Flash won. Please use Flash video on your
web site to provide a hassle-free viewing experience to the widest
possible audience."

My original quote was a from comment on that post.