Re: [Gnash] Adobe and Mozilla Foundation to Open ActionScript!

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash] Adobe and Mozilla Foundation to Open ActionScript!
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 09:39:12 -0700

Nicolas Cannasse wrote:

> It's the AVM2/Flash9 VM which is used to run compiled ActionScript3
> bytecode. It is not backward compatible with FlashPlayer<=8 AS1/2
> bytecode (flash player 9 incudes both VMs).

  My gut feeling is we *don't* want to make the mistake of having two
separate VMs, one for Flash v9, and the other for Flash v8 or less. This
code release should be very useful, but more for letting us achieve v9
compliance the easy way. :-) The AS3 code may also be interesting too.
But what I'd like to do is figure out how to make the Gnash VM support
all Flash versions. Running two VMs has got to be a memory and cpu hog.
I'd rather make sure Gnash stays suitable for embedded platforms.

  I did notice the Linux support isn't released yet... Looking at the
code, it appears they've included test cases! Anyone looking for an easy
project, could dig through the ActionScript classes, looking for
anything useful to flesh out the AS classes in Gnash.

  Btw, if you grab Mozilla from CVS, this is now included.

        - rob -