Re: [Gnash] Gnash configure options

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash] Gnash configure options
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 10:46:06 -0600

Miriam Ruiz wrote:

> It's OK, for the moment my intention is to have packages for GTK-gnash,
> GTK-mozilla plugin, KDE-klash and KDE-konqueror plugin :)

  I just checked in a patch that enables both plugins if --enable-plugin
is specified, and if KDE is found. Now the KDE tests get run if you
specify --enable-gui=kde, or --enable-plugin. The plugin is disabled by
default, and if you enable the plugin, you can drop the KDE tests and
klash by specifying --disable-klash. Let me know if this works for you.

  This patch also enables using libmad instead of ffmpeg for the
default, as there are less dependencies on other packages. Since right
now Gnash only supports MP3 audio, nobody will notice any difference.
You can use --with-mp3=decoder=ffmpeg to change this behavior. I added
configure support for all the additional dependencies, so ffmpeg should
work fine if you prefer to use that.

> At some point in the future, when the API is stable enough, I'd also like to
> have a development package so that people can create their own applications
> with an embedded flash player in them. Maybe some python bindings would also
> be nice :) but's that's quite ahead in the future.

  Quite a ways I think... Right now applications can embed Gnash in any
X11 program by using the "-x XID" option to Gnash. This becomes the
window gnash renders in. So if an application forks "gnash" (or klash)
and passes in the XID after creating a sub window, then the standalone
player renders in that sub window. You can also use the -j -k options to
set the window size. This is how the plugins work now, so any
application could do the same thing. This is much easier than trying to
learn the Gnash "API".

        - rob -