Re: [Gnash] Gnash in embedded systems

From: strk
Subject: Re: [Gnash] Gnash in embedded systems
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 12:21:09 +0200

On Tue, Jul 04, 2006 at 10:16:17AM +0200, Udo Giacomozzi wrote:

>   How fast is Gnash? The processor is currently a ETRAX100LX (100
>   MIPS, no FPU) but we will probably switch to a i386-compatible or
>   ARM CPU (200-400 MHz). No 3D hardware acceleration is available
>   (OpenGL!?). Animations are not really necessary but alpha blending
>   would be nice to have.

For non-accelerated hardware, Gnash is incredibly slow at the moment,
but with some attention on the cairo backend this could be fixed.

>   When do you *think* Gnash will get into a somewhat stable phase? As
>   long Gnash is implemented well and the "only problem" are missing
>   features I think we can live well with it because the GUI is
>   specificly designed for Gnash. We would also consider supporting the
>   project.

There is no milestone set at the moment, a consequence of funds shortage.
Support for the project would surely help moving things forward quicker.
Let me know if you're interested in this.

>   Does Gnash do anti-aliasing? I tried GameSWF once but the drawing
>   quality was relatively poor...

I'm not sure it currently supports that, but it's probably tight
to the specific renderer in use. Implemented renderers are OpenGL
and Cairo.

>   Can the stand-alone player work without GTK (draw directly to the
>   framebuffer, or via DirectFB)? If not, are there plans for that.

There are plans for that, the new modular code (gui/) should be ready
for that.

--strk;