Re: [Gnash] Avoiding legal problems

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash] Avoiding legal problems
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 10:06:37 -0700

Tomas Groth wrote:

I was wondering if gnash has made a policy about what developers are allowed to
use to help improving and implementing gnash? I'm asking because over at
gplflash (where I am/was a developer) we got some legal advice on the subject,
and I thought we might as well share that, since we all want a flashplayer,
without fearing being sued.

Currently all the work done on both GameSWF and Gnash has been done not using any of the official MacroMedia tools or documents. I personally don't have any MacroMedia software or documentation, as I don't run WinDoze, and have never been a Flash movie developer.

There are many resources available on the net (Google is your friend :-) ) that describes the format, bytecodes, and ActionScript functionality. I'm working up a list of links for the site for other developers. I guess I should ask the FSF legal folks to look into this, but my own beliefs are that if you haven't opened a package with a MacroMedia EULA, you'd be clean. I also think disassembling any MacroMedia tools or their player or plugin isn't a good idea...

Much of my own work has been done using Flare and flasm to disassemble the Flash movies themselves, which should be fine.

Here are what we know at this point:
http://gplflash.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/LegalSituation

That looks like a good quick summary. Now that Adobe has bought MacroMedia there is some hope that since Adobe has been a good supporter of public formats like PDF and Postscript, that they may lessen the restrictions.

http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/invrelations/adobeandmacromedia.html

        - rob -