gmediaserver-devel

[gmediaserver-devel] MediaServer Enhancement

From: Igor Bezkrovny
Subject: [gmediaserver-devel] MediaServer Enhancement
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 06:18:08 -0500

Hi,

Most of devices that use media servers likes only certain codecs/formats.

It is about WiFi DLNA compliant TVs, and my DLINK DSM320RD.

For now only windowz TVersity can transcode-on-the-fly.

For linux I found ushare and gmediaserver.

But both don’t know how to transcode files.

I have tried to start transcoding with ffmpeg, and after that started ushare. My DSM320RD plays file correctly!

So, as I understand, when file should be opened for a first time, ffmpeg should be started with some settings.

(for me it is ffmpeg –I infile –f mpeg –ar 44100 –ac 2 outfile –b 900000 –aspect 16:9 or (it is better) –f avi –vcodec mpeg4 –vtag xvid –ar 44100 –ac 2 –aspect 16:9 –b 700000)

It is not a big code change, but is is so needed!

I searched over internet and didn’t found anything except people crying because they need this functionality.

win: Tversity/HMS/NeroMediaHome can transcode, but:

Tversity do it very slow and don’t support settingsL

HMS can’t even stream files without problems (even without transcoding)

NeroMediaHome too slow even to stream not stranscoded video.

*nix:

            Ushare/GMediaServer – just do a streaming (but as a “+”, they never hangs for me)

            Fuppes – can transcode only audio, but I don’t like it’s xml configuration.

Thanks a lot for gmediaserver!