gmediaserver-devel

Re: [gmediaserver-devel] Kodak Digital Pictureframe crashes as soon as i

From: Jan Ceuleers
Subject: Re: [gmediaserver-devel] Kodak Digital Pictureframe crashes as soon as it detects gmediaserver
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 20:45:41 +0200

Stefan,

Stefan Märkle wrote:

# gmediaserver control (yes means start daemon).
GMEDIASERVERRUN=yes
GMEDIASERVERARGS="-ieth1 --file-types unknown,mp3 --friendly-name=PSSST"
GMEDIASERVERDIR="/data2/share"

But all that happens is that my digital picture frame from kodak (EX 1011
with wifi support) keeps rebooting in 20 second interval, obviously when detecting the gmediaserver since it doesn't happen when gmediaserver is
stopped.

Needless to say, that the picture frame runs fine with kodak's software for
windows or with the 'windows media connect' upnp server.

Is there a known problem? What can I do to debug the problem?

I have no experience whatsoever with the Kodak product you mention, but I do have a fair amount of experience with tweaking gmediaserver to support additional media types.

First of all, I suggest that you try to check whether your gmediaserver does indeed serve up the content you expect it to by browsing it with something like Cidero Media Controller (http://www.cidero.com/). This is freely available software which will allow you to verify that gmediaserver is working, that it has found your media repository, that it has understood the file format of your media files, etc.

Secondly, I recommend that you explicitly add the file types you want to support to the command line. I'm afraid that I can't tell you exactly what to change (but given that you want to provide content to a picture frame you could start by adding mpg to the --file-types parameter). The reason is that I forked my own version of gmediaserver because Oskar decided on a different approach to multi-media support (that is: support for media other than audio) than the one I proposed), and his method does not work well for me.

If you need to debug things beyond this, then you need to start gmediaserver by hand, and have it generate a logfile by adding -v and --output=LOGFILE to the command line (LOGFILE is obviously the name of the file you want it to send its output to). This should give you additional clues.

Cheers, Jan