Re: [Gm2] lowercase keywords, Modula-2 mode for emacs

From: Benjamin Kowarsch
Subject: Re: [Gm2] lowercase keywords, Modula-2 mode for emacs
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2018 00:13:23 +0900

On 6 June 2018 at 22:47, Gaius Mulley wrote:

> Note it is not only keywords but also predefined identifiers that need
> to be lowercased. In our Pygments plugin we render keywords in
> lowercase bold (optionally underlined) and predefined identifiers in
> lowercase bold italic. I am not sure if you can replicate than in
> emacs, though.

thanks for the stear. Yes I think this can be done in emacs.

Nice.

> Also, since the WRITE statement syntax supports both formatted and
> unformatted writing, there was no longer any need for
> WRITEF which became obsolete altogether.
>
> https://github.com/m2sf/m2bsk/wiki/Language-Description#the-read-statement
>
> https://github.com/m2sf/m2bsk/wiki/Language-Description#the-write-statement

ah interesting - always nice to see things removed when unnecessary.

It was specifically the ability to write an arbitrary number of arguments of arbitrary types in a single statement, both formatted and unformatted, that provided the motivation for this change, so this was a kind of long desired if not planned obsolescence ;-)

I still plan to implement this!  Looks like great fun

I suggest you start with the BSK subset

https://github.com/m2sf/m2bsk/wiki/Language-Description

BTW, did you see the amendments to number literals in C++14?

Base-2 literals using a 0b prefix and ' as a digit separator, same as M2 R10.

https://github.com/m2sf/m2bsk/wiki/Language-Description#whole-numbers

regards
benjamin