Re: [Gm2] GM2 & R10

From: Erlend Nagel
Subject: Re: [Gm2] GM2 & R10
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2015 12:59:30 +0000 (UTC)

Hello Gour,

that solution does not appeal at all to me, also because a programmer would need to learn two programming languages to be proficient at writing complete applications. I would definitely recommend to write bindings based on passing parameters in the way C would do it because the interesting (to me) GUI toolkits like GTK and Qt are either C or C++ based?

kind regards,

Erlend.

Gour <address@hidden> schrieb am 13:49 Mittwoch, 12.August 2015:

Gaius Mulley <address@hidden> writes:

Hello Gaius,

> yes this opens up an opportunity to write some Modula-2 bindings
> for say:  wx, opengl - this would be huge help.

I’m not giving up so easily, so did some further exploration of GM2 site
where I could find some interesting information like your talk about
creating Python modules by using Modula-2 and wonder how much is that
material still relevant and/or what do you think about writing
application’s back-end (aka ’business logic’) as libraries using
Modula-2 and then write app’s GUI front-end code in e.g. Python
(e.g. PyQt) which is well-supported?

Does the above scenario represents ’best of both worlds’ by using
type-safe language for the ’logic’ while taking advantage of rapid
application development by glueing everything together with Python or,
possibly, the above combination is ’the worst of the two’ elliminating
type-safety of Modula-2 and not taking advantage of Python either?

Sincerely,
Gour