[Gm2] Success! Tarball of 9/10/14 with Ubuntu 14.04 on x86 and Raspian W

From: JD
Subject: [Gm2] Success! Tarball of 9/10/14 with Ubuntu 14.04 on x86 and Raspian Wheezy on ARM (RPi)
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2014 16:55:33 +0100

Gaius,
We have a result!  No, two results.

1. Ubuntu 14.04 on x86

   === gm2 Summary ===

# of expected passes        9608
# of unexpected failures    120
# of unresolved testcases    12

2. ARM - Raspberry Pi

        === gm2 Summary ===

# of expected passes        6744
# of unexpected failures    1513
# of unresolved testcases    1495
make: [check-gm2] Error 1 (ignored)
But this one wasn't straightforward.  I took up your hint to look at the ARM ABI.  There are several cases on the web of the parameter passing error when calling the VFP unit.  Unfortunately, there was no consistent solution.  So, I tried a few changes to the configure options, and after trial and error this worked:
1.  Force the architecture with the following extra options to configure:
--build=arm-linux-gnueabihf --host=arm-linux-gnueabihf --target=arm-linux-gnueabihf
This didn't itself solve the problem but it did force the use of arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc instead of plain gcc.
2.  The option that made the difference was:
--with-float=hard
A huge plus was the timing:
real    1083m45.643s
user    661m55.220s