[Gm2] major changes about to be committed to the trunk

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: [Gm2] major changes about to be committed to the trunk
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2014 10:13:35 +0100

Hello,

I thought I'd give a heads up that I'm about to commit significant
changes to the trunk, which will break all the run tests (at least) in
the regression testsuite for a short time.

In essence these changes are:

   (*)  gcc-versionno/libgm2
          complete rewrite of all the Makefile.am configure.ac files
          (new ones for each library dialect).
        The huge benefit of this is that now gm2 builds using multiarch
        so when you build a cross compiler say for the atmel series of
        microprocessors, the build process builds a per target set of
        iso, pim, logitech etc libraries.  Each target library
        will possibly have been compiled with different target options.

        It also uses libtool and everything is done in a gcc conforming
        manner.  There is also a cleaner separation between target and
        host in the libraries (cleaner source #includes etc).

        All build library archive locations have changed thus all run
        regression tests will fail until the paths have been updated.

        General linking will be broken for a short while as well until
        the default link paths inside 'gm2' are also changed.

   (*)  compiler 'cc1gm2' has had a few bug fixes applied which now
        allows the compiler to optimise at a unit at a time (rather than
        a procedure at a time).  Hence tighter code is generated.