Re: [Gm2] ncurses (also: what about swig)

From: gaius
Subject: Re: [Gm2] ncurses (also: what about swig)
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 03:54:49 -0500

Dragiša Durić <address@hidden> writes:

> If you're clean slated there, it's best not to involve yourself with ncurses
> :).
>
> My recommendation would be Gtk+. Writing definition modules for Gtk+
> is easier route than implementing/using ncurses support.
>
> Qt is another option, but being C++ it is probably harder to bind to
> Modula-2.

> SWiG, though, is one possibly interesting route. gm2 is
> able to generate SWIG interface definitions, and I am curious about
> other way - can we (SWIG being very formal and all) generate
> Modula-2 definitions from SWIG? SWIG site does not mention gm2 yet.

Hi,

gm2 can produce swig header files (for definition modules using
fundamental data types).  Currently this gives users the ability to
write Python/TCL/Perl scripts which call upon a 'module' implemented
in Modula-2.

Transforming swig interfaces into Modula-2 could be done - I guess
we would need a dynamic loader module which loads up the shared library
and another module which marshals parameters to the shared library.

> Gtk+ is event driven but nothing like Windows event "driveness". You
> start main loop, but not to get events from it and put them through
> giant case statements. Both Gtk+ and Qt are callback based - you
> create your event handling procedures and decorate widget tree with
> them. From there on, as long as you follow moderately simple
> guidelines, it is all automagic. And it's multiplatform, it even
> works on OSX.

very interesting - gtk+ sounds very clean.