Re: [Gm2] IOChan.RawRead() returns fewer bytes than available

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: Re: [Gm2] IOChan.RawRead() returns fewer bytes than available
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 19:26:16 +0100

SiTex Graphics <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Gaius,
>
> On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 7:41 AM, Gaius Mulley <address@hidden> wrote:
>> The layering will pass through these procedures:
>>
>> IOChan.mod:RawRead
>> RTgen.mod:doReadLocs
>> RTfio.mod:dorbytes
>
> Thanks.  The issue seems to lie in the FIO read handling, but I
> haven't been able to get gm2 to link in a modified version of that
> module.  I tried copying the .o to
>
> /usr/local/build-4.1.2/gcc/gm2/gm2-libs
>
> and all its subdirs overwriting the existing FIO.o.  No luck.  I also
> tried copying the .o to the local project directory, but that did not
> work either.

Hi Scott,

this should work - ensure that there is a '-I.'  in the link command.
You can double check this via 'gm2 -fmodules -c ...'

> How can I link against my own version of the FIO implementation
> module?

> The current issue aside, a couple comments about FIO:
>
> 1.  I wish there were not a fixed limit on the number of open files.
> I can easily imagine cases where we have more than 100 files open at
> once.  Can the limit at least be increased to say 1000?

ok sure - I'll modify this to use a dynamic array and extend the array
as necessary.

> 2.  The handling of EOF seems odd.  I'd expect EOF to be tracked as
> part of the file status based on the last read attempt.

yes - I'll change this as well..  interestingly the buffer size is
16*1024 so it is likely a problem in FIO..  so getting rid of the
strange EOF might be a very good start :-)