[Gm2] Debugging woes under Solaris 10/sparc with GDB 6.

From: John O Goyo
Subject: [Gm2] Debugging woes under Solaris 10/sparc with GDB 6.
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 07:42:59 -0500

Greetings:

Gaius Mulley wrote (in part):
[...]
Hi John,

thanks for the report - out of interest does the same behaviour still
occur with the latest release of gdb (6.8
http://sourceware.org/gdb/download)

Unfortunately not.  Witness

johng [test]385=> /home/build/bin/gdb hello
GNU gdb 6.8
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "sparc64-sun-solaris2.10"...
DW_FORM_strp pointing outside of .debug_str section [in module /home/johng/prj/test/hello]

I did a bit of searching on the GDB mailing lists. Others have some the same problem in other contexts but the GDB maintainers regard the problem as that of broken binaries, dbx notwithstanding, and I am insufficiently familiar with the Dwarf standards to render an opinion.

john