Re: [Gm2] Slow gm2-harness

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: Re: [Gm2] Slow gm2-harness
Date: 14 Sep 2006 19:05:21 +0100

Gaius Mulley <address@hidden> writes:

> John B Wallace Jr <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I am using gm2-harness 0.9 on my system (SUSE Linux 9.3-64/Athlon 64) and
> > the
> > problem is harness downloads each file in the gm2 CVS archive each time gm2
> > is built, not just the ones that have changed. With a dial-up connection
> > this
> > is very slow. Is there some switch or something to change this behavior.
> >
> > John Wallace

Hi John,

I've just released gm2-harness-0.91 which fixes the problem you
reported.  Now, by default, it only retrieves a single cvs snapshot
and then reuses it upon subsequent makes.  You can override this
behaviour by using the --with-cvs configure option.

Here is the gm2-harness-0.91/README

Hope this improves rebuild times,

---

gm2-harness is a simple package which allows you to rebuild gm2 from
source, run the regression tests and install the compiler.

To do this type:

./configure
make all
su
make install

The following configure options are implemented:

   --with-gdb         builds gdb-6.5 (which has Modula-2 language
     support)
   --with-cvs         forces `make' to download the latest cvs from
     the cvs server
   --with-gcc=3.3.6   grafts GNU Modula-2 onto the gcc-3.3.6 release
   --with-gcc=4.1.0   grafts GNU Modula-2 onto the gcc-4.1.0 release
     (experimental and unstable)

note it is advisable to build GNU Modula-2 with the gcc version which
matches the source version.