Re: [Gm2] gm2 installation on Apple

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: Re: [Gm2] gm2 installation on Apple
Date: 11 Oct 2005 13:52:17 +0100

Michael H Lambert <address@hidden> writes:

> Thomas,
>
> I saw the same behavior as you did under 10.3.9 (need to ranlib /tmp/
> *.a).  This was after reinstalling Xcode 1.5 and the November 2004
> gcc updater over the existing installation.  I then tried the gm2
> build using FSF gcc 3.3.6 with the same results.  I think the problem
> must be with the linker under 10.3.
>
> Gaius:  How hard would it be to make your changes to include ranlib
> conditional on the OS?  I would expect it to be a performance hit and
> would only want to do it when necessary.

Hi Michael,

this should be pretty easy. Currently I've modified gm2 to always
perform ranlib after any .a is created, it would only be an issue of
modifying ./configure, passing values to the linker program and an IF
THEN END in gm2/gm2-compiler/gm2lcc.mod

It would be nice to see whether the introduction of ranlib fixes the
problem before this addition is made,