[Gm2] Saviour on Solaris 10

From: john o goyo
Subject: [Gm2] Saviour on Solaris 10
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 18:40:44 -0400

Greetings:

It seem that you may now be our only hope for ISO-complaince under Solaris 10, Gaius. GPM Modula-2 does not work under Solaris 10 -- everything dumps core. I asked GPM about this and received the following response (along with my request sent August 3rd).

====[mail begins]====
Greetings:

On 2005-08-03, John Gough <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi John, hi all.
>
> There is a known problem with the solaris version that has to do
> with the alignment of value parameters of IEEE double type.
>
> Early versions of  solaris used only 4-byte alignment (for params,
> locals and statics were always 8-byte aligned) but later
> versions do a copy of the incoming value to a 8-byte aligned location.
> In principle we could fix this if it is a really big issue.

Thank you for your reply.

Is there a workaround?  At present, both gpm and gpmake core dump so
that I cannot even build helloworld.

Sincerely,
john
====[mail ends]====

I have yet to receive a reply and fear for the worst, namely that they will abandon Modula-2 under Solaris. (I know that this begs the question of the worth of ISO Modula-2 but that is another story. #6-)

Sincerely,
john