Re: [Gm2] Building under Solaris 9 on Sparc -- update (mostly good)

From: john o goyo
Subject: Re: [Gm2] Building under Solaris 9 on Sparc -- update (mostly good)
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 11:05:55 -0400

Greetings:

Michel Derosa wrote:
Heya John,

In regards to one of the issues with the build-process.

[...]
Actually srcdir's definition comes from the command used to invoke the
configure script. so if you called it as:

  /fullpath-to-gcc/configure (eg: /home/john/src/gcc-3.3.5/configure)

then srcdir, in the Makefile, will be set to:
  /fullpath-to-gcc  (eg: /home/john/src/gcc-3.3.5)

This is essentially what I did.  I had one account for source and several
build accounts (so as to prevent any possible damage to the source).

However the recommend build process, suggests a hierarchy somewhat like
this one:

   /somepath/work   (some working directory for building)
   /somepath/work/gcc-3.3.5   (where the gcc sources are unpacked)
   /somepath/work/build       (where we will be building gcc).

Hhmmm, the "recommended" process seems to be "required".  #6-)

And then the build is setup/configured :
   cd /somepath/work/build
   ../gcc-3.3.5/configure  (etc..)

The Makefile in build, will now have srcdir set to  ../gcc-3.3.5
and then all the relative paths in the Makefiles, start to make sense :)

This is now what I do and the paths are correct.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
john

Ciao!