[Gm2] Re: enumerated types and import rules

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: [Gm2] Re: enumerated types and import rules
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 22:23:55 +0100

Hi,

hmm, upon further analysis, it appears (to me) that according to the
Interim Version of 4th Working Draft Modula-2 standard that one _must_
explicitly import an enumerated type to access the enumeration
elements. So the following code should not compile after all. [See
section 6.1.6.5 Closure].  Or have I misunderstood something?

Can anyone confirm that this is the same with the most up to date
standard. I will now order my copy :-)

It would also be good to confirm this with an ISO complient compiler.

Thanks,
Gaius

MODULE impf ;

IMPORT impb ;

CONST
   start = impb.red ;    (* should give an error? *)
   end   = impb.green ;  (* should give an error? *)

VAR
   a: ARRAY [start..end] OF CARDINAL ;
   b: impb.C ;           (* this should be ok *)
BEGIN
END impf.

-----------

DEFINITION MODULE impb ;