[Gm2] (no subject)

From: Abi Lover
Subject: [Gm2] (no subject)
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2003 11:01:31 +0000

Hi

Thanks everyone for replying to my questions on co-routines in Modula-2. I was a bit disappointed though that C/C++ does not have the same simple, clean, and elegant solution to this interesting problem as does M2. I should have thought that somebody would have thought of adding it to C/C++ as an extension at least by now.

As an aside, does anyone know what happened to the source code for the old TopSpeed Modula-2 compiler? The name of the company which originally produced it, if I remember correctly, was Jensen & Partner International. That was a very well-written and good quality piece of software. It was written in M2, and it had its own simple text editor, linker, and debugger, and a nice library of definition modules, and it produced fast and efficient executable code. But for some reason it never caught on, and C/C++ became the de-facto programming language, and that bit of software, as well as the company which produced it, died. It would be great if that source code could be resurrected somehow, released under GPL so that it could be developed by the open source community, and ported to Linux. That source code is probably not much use to whoever owns it by now, and it shouldn't be too difficult to raise a bit of money to buy it and release it under GPL.

Best regards

The new MSN 8 is here: Try it free* for 2 months http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup