gluster-devel

Re: [Gluster-devel] File integrity and consistency in geo-replication

From: Jeff Darcy
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] File integrity and consistency in geo-replication
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 17:12:52 -0500

On 12/19/2012 12:57 PM, Natale Vinto wrote:
I saw the Server Quorum feature for the next version, I was wondering
if it is the one from the Duvvuri theory and if could be useful for
that case killing unconsistent bricks.

I hadn't heard of Duvvuri, and all I could find in a quick search was a couple of old papers about adaptive leasing. Do you have any other references? The server quorum feature allows us to avoid inconsistency from writes done without local quorum, but has practically no effect on geo-replication. What are your expectations about quorum and consistency in a wide-area environment?

And, what about using Hadoop with the Gluster connector?

Um . . . it works?  Not sure what you're getting at here.

I think that this work would require a massive study and testing (for
me at least!), but it would be very nice do this research trying to
get an international cultural needing working thanks to a big
opensource project, "in perpetuum" :)

I agree. It would definitely be good for us to understand what your needs are with respect to consistency or data integrity, and discuss how our modular architecture might allow us to add features that address those needs.