gluster-devel

Re: [Gluster-devel] AFR between two bricks over 3000 miles

From: nathan
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] AFR between two bricks over 3000 miles
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 09:03:40 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008, Anand Avati wrote:

the bottleneck seems to be create/open which is synchronous over all
subvolumes. do you have numbers without involving the remote site/afr ?

Just mounted nyc rather then mirror and that cut the time to .076 sec vs local .01 sec.

This is a 100 meg link between NYC and SJC and only transferring 748K. My guess is even if we had a full gig link between the two we would have the same problem. A message sent from NYC to SJC will still take 60ms to fly across the country. So if you have a lot of messages flying back and forth waiting for data to be written you will have this problem.

Another clue is that it takes 27 sec just to rm -fr the files! If I moved afr from the client to the server would that help?

address@hidden glusterfs]# time cp -r /etc/sysconfig/ /share/mirror

real    0m0.076s
user    0m0.000s
sys     0m0.007s