[Glug-nith-discuss] a problem for anyone to solve...

From: Satyajit Sarangi
Subject: [Glug-nith-discuss] a problem for anyone to solve...
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 11:36:57 -0600

Hi guys....
          I am working on a problem these days and thought it would be rather good to throw it out to anyone who can come up with a good solution..

Problem Definition: Given n Polylines on a plane. Find all intersections among them.

Polyline Definition (in case you don't know): A Polyline is a curve basically made up of a lot of straight lines.. so you can imagine it to be a curve made by joining a couple of small straight lines.

Initial place to start: This is a problem from the field of computational geometry.. can be found in ur algo's book (Cormen).
                              Most places on net will describe this problem for the sweep line algorithm.

O(n^2) algorithm is to just to do a brute force algorithm.

O(nlogn) algo - sweep line algo..

Problem with sweep line algorithm - has to handle a lot of degeneracies. Also the basic problem definition for sweep line algo is for multiple line segments which may or may not be connected.

I have my own implementation of this using a Bounding box tree which is simply a binary search tree.

Want to see if you brilliant guys have some more ideas of how this could be implemented...

Thanks..
Satyajit