Re: [Glug-nith-discuss] alternate for swf files(flash file)

From: shourav agrawal
Subject: Re: [Glug-nith-discuss] alternate for swf files(flash file)
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 23:32:17 +0530

Hello G V Manu sir,

I m not using any of the linux operating system.....reason y i got onto these is tht i m wrkin for the mechanical engg. deptt website and hav thought of putting som flash files onto it...jus bcoz swf files are prepared from  propreitary software(if i m not wrong) i thought it would not work on Linux operating system (unless some softwares r installed on it) and if not installed the missing plugin pop ups on browser direct us to the propreitary software  adobe which cannot be installed on linux systems.so putting swf files(flash file) will not be good if it can't be accessed.

should I drop the idea of putting those swf file on the websites??

Shourav Agrawal

On 8/1/07, Goudar Vishwanathappa Manu <address@hidden> wrote:
On 01/08/07, shourav agrawal <address@hidden> wrote:
> okay to run flash files on Linux system  i need to install Gnash which is
See now you know that you need to install Gnash. Install it. If you
are using Fedora
$yum install gnash gnash-plugins
if ubuntu use synaptic or apt-get install gnash.

> not possible if one knows about it because on clink the missing plugin
I really don't understand what you are saying. :)

> link,it enter into adobe softwares which is a propreitary software ....so i
> think it would be better not to use flash files on web pages as of
> know.....m i rite????????
Ubuntu 7.10 will be porting Gnash by default. So wait till Ubuntu 7.10.
One more thing Gnash supports till SWF 7 i think. Now a days most of
the sites have SWF 8 running, so installing gnash doesn't work. But
you can opt for proprietary flash player 9.0, which will run all flash
files in web. There is no proprietary flash player for AMD64/X86_64
operating systems (macromedia people have not yet written 64bit
version) but there is "gnash" available. So if you are using 64 bit
machine, install gnash and be happy with what you have. Or install
mozilla-mplayer plugin i think this will play utube videos(flv format
i think this is also some flash thing not sure) and many flash stuff
for you.

Regards
--
G V Manu