[Glug-nith-discuss] GLUG-NITH Activities

From: vivek shah
Subject: [Glug-nith-discuss] GLUG-NITH Activities
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 12:42:51 +0530

Hello,

        A few days back me, Divya and Debarshi were discussing a few
things on IRC about some tasks that the GLUG could undertake and here
are the excerpts.

1. We could organise a GCC,GDB, MAKE workshop where we would show some
interesting demonstrations on using gcc ( the GNU compiler), GDB (the
GNU Debugger), and also how to write simple makefiles.

GCC would be important because it would be a far-cry from the Turbo
Compiler that people keep on using in our college and it would be
worthwhile if they learn about it.

GDB would help them immensely in debugging the code.

MAKE because a lot of people have tried installing softwares from
source and it would be beneficial to them if they know what actually
goes on behind it. Also since a lot of people are interested in doing
Free Software Projects, it would give them a first hand experience of
creating Makefiles.

2. We could go to the local schools in Hamirpur and hold some
demonstration to the school children  about GNU/Linux systems. if we
can show them how they can fulfill their requirements we will have a
breakthrough. Catching their interest young would also be a great. In
this regard, we also have to train the teachers who would be a
lynchpin for the schoolkids to learn.

3. We can do a GNU/LINUX introduction talk to the people in the local
Degree College to introduce things in that matter. The more it reaches
out to people the better it is.

Since this is an ambitious project it needs a lot of thought, hardwork
and workers. So volunteers are most welcome and needed.

Comments,ideas,suggestions and abuses on the above idea are totally welcome.

Regards,
Vivek

--
Put a rogue in the limelight and he will act like an honest man.
               -- Napoleon Bonaparte, "Maxims"