Re: [Glug-nith-discuss] Burning ISO

From: Arjun Shankar
Subject: Re: [Glug-nith-discuss] Burning ISO
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 15:41:20 +0530

Should I burn the same winrar file using Nero (Selecting the
Make Bootable Disc Option)...or is it better to make the DVD
from Linux???

There must be a feature in Nero Startsmart called 'Burn ISO Image'

Once selected, select the Fedora '.iso' file that you downloaded.

The 'make bootable' option is not the right one. It copies a version
of FreeDOS onto the CD for booting.

A bootable CD does not have a '.iso' file inside it. A '.iso' file contains
information that is used to make the files on the CD, if you know what I
mean. It contains all the data, and the order in which the data is to be
burned, to make the CD bootable.

If you use GNU/Linux to burn, then new versions of GNOME support
burning the ISO directly to CD by right clicking on them, and selecting an
option like 'Burn to CD', which is a whole lot easier than 'cdrecord' for a
newbie (which could need extra parameters to detect the drive, select the
burn speed, etc).

Also, check the extension of the file. It should not be '.rar' (which is what it
seems to be). I have no clue why windows calls it a WinRAR archive. I
havent used Windows for some time now. Maybe your download
manager is fscked. Or it compresses files after download (god knows
why! :) ), in which case, you need to un-compress it before burning.

Hope that helps.

Arjun