[Glug-nith-discuss] Website Maintenance

From: Arjun Shankar
Subject: [Glug-nith-discuss] Website Maintenance
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 11:29:32 +0530

During the last GLUG-meet, we had discussed that Sagar and Vivek were to
rejuvinate the un-maintained website at http://glug-nith.org, and handle all
new incoming material.

I have the following suggestions in this regard:

1. Use MediaWiki
2. Make sure popular old links (that show up on google) still work.

If you have a wiki based site, you can split it into sections and take
responsibility for the section you like most.

For example, Sagar can handle Gaming (a very important thing in an institute
like ours), while Vivek takes care of our very own 'distrowatch' (You know a
bit about some _weird_ distributions, right Vivek?).. and so on.

We will also need a section for institute-newbies, so they can start off with
Ubuntu/Fedora (our pet distributions) as soon as possible. What this means
is, pointers to where they can get help on (a) getting proprietary media
formats to work, (b) getting their 915 based board (which is pretty popular
in the institute) to avoid resolution problems (i915resolution in the Ubuntu
package, IIRC) (c) getting wine to run CS (d) using gcc (e) using gaim. No
need to duplicate this information, just give pointers.

Obviously, more sections = more people needed.

Anybody interested?

Arjun

--
GPG Key ID: 3BB7C34B