glue

Re: [discuss] GROUPWARE - what is it, anyways?

From: Dan Kuykendall
Subject: Re: [discuss] GROUPWARE - what is it, anyways?
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 10:04:02 -0800

> And doesn't instantly fall prey to feature creep.
>
> So, what is 'groupware'?
>         * calendaring
>         * email access
>         ? newsgroup access
>         * email alias/list management
>         * shared file access (webdav?)
>         * todo lists
>         * project/progress tracking
>         * address book(s)
>
> Anybody think of anything else that is clearly 'groupware' and not in
> there (and otoh, also clearly doen't belong to the 'not groupware'
> category like say database access).

I agree. The basic scope needs to be geared toward the core apps of a
groupware system. However I feel that it can also be done in a way that
allows any additional app to be written and have its data stored in some
standard method. If we dont do this then Notes and Exchange would have a
powerful function that we would be ignoring.

> In the case some of those, a certain subset of things people can dream up
> (like in the case of todo lists) will have to be decided.
>
> Where does Mozilla fit into this?

Mozilla is a good browser for phpGW. But probably does not really
concern us in building this OGS XML-RPC interface.

Seek3r