glue

Re: GNU GLUE?

From: Thomas Aeby
Subject: Re: GNU GLUE?
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 21:26:31 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 3 Feb 2001, Dan Kuykendall wrote:

> [db/replication]
> replication system. We have not fully tested this out, but the code is
> in place to support having the system mirrored.

This sounds very promising!

> interface to phpGW. It will support syncing and we have some interested
> developers who are going to try writing a GTK client for it as soon as
> its in place.

I'll be one of its users!

> My big hope is that GLUE starts off by writing a iTIP daemon
> (http://www.imc.org/pdi/), then join that together with an IMAP daemon
> and maybe some contacts records daemon that supports vCard. Of course
> there would be some master daemon involved to maintain user accounts and
> such, but putting the back end together will then allow a mad rush of
> client side development by interested parties.

I agree - lots of interested developers seem to be willing to work on
groupware applications. Most of them don't have the time or the motivation
to work on the backends though - it seems.

Markus?

> Dont worry about the front end, every damn open source developer in the
> world will jump in and fill that hole. We need some kick ass developers
> to commit to building the backend for us all to use.

I like writing backends - but people do not like developing on my backends
:-))
(just kidding - there's no chance I get enough spare time for joining
another project)

> As stated above, I REALLY suggest that you drop the client side plans
> for now and focus on the backend services. Doing this thru open
> standards like IMAP and iTIP would allow for other developers to start
> on the client side code. The clients that will appear will be web based
> and native code, just like you see with IMAP clients.

I'd like to see the client part too. But actually I agree that clearly
separating backend services from the client (even if it's just that the
code is clearly modular in this respect)would be a good idea and
would avoid some of the "design flaws" (my opinion) of Lotus Notes.
I agree with Markus that it would be great to get an easy-to-install
solution for a change :-)

I really hope for a statement from Markus!

Kind regards,
Tom
43rd Law of Computing:
        Anything that can go wr
fortune: Segmentation violation -- Core dumped