Re: [glob2-devel] Random map generator

From: Leo Wandersleb
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Random map generator
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 22:47:31 +0200

Hi Bradley

I remember that when I commited my random map gen someone found out that it is
not ready so maps can get regenerated on the fly. Instead of fixing that he
just did something so the map got marked as edited right from the start and
thus got saved tile by tile rather than random seed plus parameters.

As I'm quite sure this generation on the fly will only bring us trouble as any
change to the generator would result in changed maps I vote for removing this
part of it.

Greetings,

Leo Wandersleb

Bradley Arsenault wrote:
I'm investigating a long line of incomplete code having to do with
random map generation. Apparrently, when you generate a random map,
large amounts of code are wrapped arround re-generating it every time
you use the map. While in theory this is nice, in reality it would be
slow and not really usefull except to save a couple hundred k of
harddrive space. Anyway, all of this code is incomplete, and I'm going
to remove as much of it as I can find. It makes changing a randomly
generated map broken, I have to manually (and very hackishly) remove
the random-generator tag when the map editor saves the map.

If anyone is activly working on this code, reply now. Else, I'll be
removing this functionality within a day.