[glob2-devel] tip about the network

From: Nuage
Subject: [glob2-devel] tip about the network
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 22:58:40 +0200

-If you want to know if the network is faulty, having lost an UDP packet, or
missed a packet reorder, then you simply have to compare Game.log. This is a
dump of what the Game engine received from the network.
-If they differ, then the network is faulty and did miss an UDP packet loss, or
did miss an UDP packet reorder. In such a case, I have to fix the net code, and
please send me the full logs from each players (compressed).
-If they don't differ, then the game engine received exactly the same orders,
and then some part of the game engine is faulty. (leave the network system
alone, it's fine)

-The current code is meant to use the best of UDP (lowest latency) and add the
main features of TCP (packet loss and reorder).
-It does things that cannot be done in TCP, like resending packet from a
disconnected player to the players still playing.
-And I may be wrong, but I seriously believe you can't punch hole with TCP, at
least not like we do.
-From a design point of view, TCP is not designed for games. All reactive games
uses UDP.

-From a security point of view, my network code is bad. For this reason only it
has to be fully reworked. Add to this the need to be better written.