Re: [glob2-devel] Echo Gradient Optmization

From: Bradley Arsenault
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Echo Gradient Optmization
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 22:28:33 -0700

On 7/6/06, Cyrille Dunant <address@hidden> wrote:
On Friday 07 July 2006 02:32, Bradley Arsenault wrote:
> I'm having a hard time keeping the cpu usage of my new echo AI system
> down. I've been doing most profiles of echo, and too my great
> surprise, Echo uses arround 20% of the cpu with full optmizations. In
> comparison, Nicowar uses 5% of the cpu, and Castor uses arround 0.6%
> (all with optmizations). I figured it could be becaues Echo used 32
> bit integers for its gradient (I hadn't yet changed that), so I
> decided to profile various integers on my system. Keep in mind that I
> reduced the delay in Engine.cpp to make the game run faster, so Echo
> uses about half as much the total cpu time:

Have you tried running the code in valgrind-callgrind ?

I believe there is a non-graphical mode for glob2 made expressely for that
purpose.

CU

 -- CFD

Actually, in the last error, I've made extremely good progress with
the gradients, they are no longer a bottleneck. Although they are the
slowest of any gradient to compute, they are shareable, meaning if
theres multiple Echo based AI's playing, they will share the gradient
manager, greatly reducing the amount of gradient computation with
multiple AI's.

As well, I have made a few changes that doubled the speed of
gradients in general.