[glob2-devel] On speed issues...

From: Matthew Marshall
Subject: [glob2-devel] On speed issues...
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 22:40:50 -0500

Hello,

 I posted earlier about how circles and forbidden areas give a huge
performance hit; I have a little update.

 First of all, for the circles, I changed line 2487 in glSDL.c from
'gl.Enable(GL_LINE_SMOOTH);' to 'gl.Disable(GL_LINE_SMOOTH);'.  It doesn't
look near as pretty that way, but I can now fill the screen with circles, and
not notice any performance hit.

 This is probably not much of an issue with newer video cards, but for me
there is a HUGE difference.  Should it be made that whether or not the
circles are smoothed, depends on the 'Low Quality Mode' setting?  I could
probably program it, if it should be done.  (This is dealing with a part of
the code I can understand!)

 Now, about the forbidden area, I have noticed something strange:  While it
really slows down the current cvs, it produces no performance hit in Alpha
7!!!  I tried recompiling both with the same options, but it remains!  In the
cvs, if I fill the screen (640x480) with forbidden area, the CPU load goes
from about 50% to over 600%!  With Alpha 7, it produces less than a 5%
increase.

 I would like to investigate this, but I cannot find where in the code that
the forbidden area is being drawn.  NCT, (or anyone else who knows,) could
you point this out to me?

Other than this, I notice a definite speed increase in the current cvs.

Thanks!!!

MWM