gksu-devel

Re: gksu 1.1.0, new API

From: Sven Herzberg, GNOME Deutschland
Subject: Re: gksu 1.1.0, new API
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2004 16:14:08 +0100

Am Do, den 29.01.2004 schrieb Gustavo Noronha Silva um 16:46:
> I would very much like comments. The gksu demo-and-command-line-
> frontend-to-the-library-hey-ho app is already ported. The only serious
> caveat in the implementation now is that libgksu does *not* init the
> gtk library anywhere yet.
>
> It used to do so through gksu_init, but now I want to do it when the
> user actually runs something. This has to be seen, yet, and I believe
> the library will have to do many tries to do that -- maybe one
> gtk_check_init in each of: gksu_context_new, gksu_ask_password,
> gksu_run and gksu_sudo_run.... that seems to be sucky, what do
> you think?

  I think the preferred way should be to simply have to libs libgksu
(providing the auth stuff, should -- IMHO -- just be linked against
glib, gthread and gobject) and libgksuui (which includes several
re-usable code like authentication dialogs); then we have the gksu
application which simply provides its own main window (as I don't think
that this window might be reused anywhere).

  I'd also strongly vote for an integration into GNOME 2.8 (which
happens to be released about september). Until a module proposal we
should have the gksu client to be able to replace the current gnome run
dialog and have some python bindings to be used within a new version of
the gnome system tools.

  Then we could ask the nautilus maintainers whether they want to
support multi-user nautilus (e.g. 'Open as other user...') and we should
try to get this done too.

  This way we could get widespread testing and lots of demo-code
demonstrating how to use gksu correctly.

> - have gksuexec show an option to select between su and sudo
>   (added Thu Jan 29 13:11:26 2004, incomplete, priority medium)

I'd prefer to hide the backend from everything that uses the library. We
might want to have a GConf-Key for advanced users to select the
authentication method (at least until we get a way to ask sudo whether
or not we're able to execute the command)

Regards,
  Sven
--
Sven Herzberg <address@hidden> · Jabber: address@hidden