ghm-discuss

Re: [Ghm-discuss] Attending without having registered

From: Garreau\, Alexandre
Subject: Re: [Ghm-discuss] Attending without having registered
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2016 00:35:41 +0200

On 2016-07-02 at 21:32, Christian Grothoff wrote:
> 1) registration deadline has not passed,

Ok, then just to answer quickly (I write quickly, because dvorak) before
I check my bank account (which has a slow proprietary interface and
doesn’t work with firefox, which requires to run another chrooted
browser through tor, which requires time):

> 2) you can ask for the refund and effectively pay EUR 0

The refund is AFK, while my problem is my bank doesn’t allow me to have
too few money (5€ min I guess) on my account, so I need to be refund
now, but then it wouldn’t be anymore a real guarantee.

Although I’m not 100% sure (I’d say ~60%) that I will be able to attend,
I need my friend (who said he will ask friends to host me) to answer.

> 3) if you can show that you bought tickets, you can
>    use the non-EU option and still have food

I will probably minimize my travel costs by using BlaBlaCar (I don’t see
yet rides for Rennes, because it’s too far in time for now) and having
my driver cancel the transaction using the proprietary software
application/web site just before the ride, so we can keep the
transaction relatively anonymous while not paying blablacar taxation
(mandatory for national travels: ironically having GHM in its own
country is able to make travel more expensive and less anonymous): which
at the same time means paying for a centralized proprietary SaaSS
(yuck!) and paying french TVA (which makes poor physical persons pay the
same proportion as rich moral persons, thus being too high for
not-rich-enough individuals while often being too low for companies).

Moreover afaik:
  1) GNU Taler is not close to be ready (correct me if I’m wrong), and I
     doubt to quickly/easily find any French bank letting me use it
     (user tracking means power/money, I’m not sure most French banks
     will accept to loose power);
  2) GNUnet can’t replace blablacar yet at a large scale and
     sybil-resisting at the same time, while being user-friendly.

Thus I will not have anything equivalent to a “bought ticket”…

> We don't want anyone to starve or be unable to participate, we just
> don't want to buy 100 meals for 50 participants like in 2014...

I understand, while I still don’t understand why was an —expensive—
catering the only way to eat collectively… But I can imagine why in
mostly-universitarian/research milieu people are more used to have other
paid people preparing food for them. But since I’m still willing to come
I try to adapt…

The two solutions I see there are either I come with my own food (as I
said), either I pay proportionally to “our” guessed probability (I don’t
know if we take my 65%±10%, or your guess, or a mean of both, or some
other function) of my venue, if it is less than what I can pay, or
sending you my RIB/cheque, but that last option might probably cost you
too much time compared to the average money it saves (I don’t know
what’s the average researcher income, so I don’t know how worth is your
time).