ghm-discuss

Re: [Ghm-discuss] The posh talk does not complain with the policy

From: Luca Saiu
Subject: Re: [Ghm-discuss] The posh talk does not complain with the policy
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 22:38:46 +0200

On 2014-08-13 at 17:46, Andy Wingo wrote:

> On Tue 12 Aug 2014 12:21, Luca Saiu <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I've always thought that what counts is the *intent* of the speaker;
>
>   http://genderbitch.wordpress.com/2010/01/23/intent-its-fucking-magic/

The whole piece would be unacceptable anywhere a typical "code of
conduct" is enforced, as the author clearly understands.  Yet she easily
gets away with the very kind of behavior she criticizes thanks to the
"sarcasm" disclaimer at the beginning.

Sarcasm would look even more magic than intent.

Except that it's exactly the same idea: the author assumes that her
point will be interpreted in good faith, and makes it -- in a very
colorful way, taking pleasure at her creative display of strong,
sexualized linguistic imagery.

Since she belongs to an underprivileged minority oppressed by somebody
(certainly not me), she is free to use any form of expression, and also
dictate what form of expression *I* can use.

This whole discussion makes me gasp for fresh air.  I really, really
have no intention of gratuitously attacking any individual or group who
is not causing real harm.  Yet now I have to learn about "trigger
warnings", "sex positivity", "pro-womenism", "pro-consent" and resist an
urge to make a mockery of all of this.

Does anybody exist who would actually support an "anti-consent"
position?  Is anybody accusing GNU hackers of being subhuman predators?
If not, what are we speaking about?

People insisting on adherence to a strict, codified form of expression
are curbing the speakers' creativity, and -- much more importantly --
destroying the assumption of good faith which should underly any
constructive, non-aggressive communication.

Intent is exactly the right measure to judge the psychological effect of
spoken and written statements (the linked article also wanders
elsewhere, but that is off-topic for us).  If by mistake I offend a
listener, I will apologize.  I'm in good faith; I don't want to make
enemies.  But if a listener still *wants* to be offended at all costs,
she will be.  Too bad.

--
Luca Saiu      http://ageinghacker.net
* GNU epsilon: http://www.gnu.org/software/epsilon