ghm-discuss

Re: [Ghm-discuss] The posh talk does not complain with the policy

From: Samuel Thibault
Subject: Re: [Ghm-discuss] The posh talk does not complain with the policy
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 16:23:04 +0200

Luca Saiu, le Tue 12 Aug 2014 16:05:52 +0200, a écrit :
> On 2014-08-12 at 12:40, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> > That's why I was talking about
> > careful forewords.  Knowing that what you will say can be taken as
> > offensive by some people, forewords can prevent that from happening, and
> > everybody will be fine.
>
> Everyone is fine with an opening such as "This is controversial: you may
> disagree, but rest assured that I do not mean to attack you".

We are not talking about controversies, but offenses.

> I oppose statements such as this, from a previous message of yours:
>
> > But the GHM is not supposed to be about that, so people who feel they
> > would be offensed by such a talk should be able to think that they can
> > come to GHM without any risk of being offensed by the talks there.
>
> ...which I find unrealistic.  It's impossible to go anywhere "without
> any risk" of being offended, if actual communication is taking place.

Do you mean that if somebody is talking about something, then he'll most
probably offense at least someone from the audience?  Well, probably,
yes. But you have completely stripped what I was talking all about:
“marvelous sexual technique”. I was just saying that somebody who
would be offensed by such topics should not have to fear hearing some of
that at GHM, or that at least s⋅he can ask for that to stop.

Samuel