ghm-discuss

Re: [Ghm-discuss] The posh talk does not complain with the policy

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: [Ghm-discuss] The posh talk does not complain with the policy
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 05:06:45 -0400

   >    > PS: for those interested, I may perform the talk off-event
   >    > in case we find a suitable place, we will see..
   >
   >    Well I'd find better to directly see a talk which isn't based
   >    on human discrimination/offense/aggression rather than still
   >    having a potentially nasty thing happening elsewhere... What
   >    do you think of that?
   >
   > This is exactly the knee jerk reaction that people get when one
   > starts talking about policies like these.  They cannot make a
   > rational argument about _what_ exactly is offensive, only that it
   > is or has to be and get upset.  You don't even know what Jose's
   > presentation is about, but assume that it has to be the worst of
   > the worst.

   This argumentation is absurd: clearly it is about one of these
   topics; Jose said he can't give his talk, because it violates the
   policy.

It is not absurd at all, can you explain _what_ is offensive, exactly?
Can you make a rational, strict and consistent decision, based on the
currently worded policy, that does not change between conference
organisers as to what is considered offensive?

Of course you cannot.  But I can decide easily what side of the road
to drive on -- reading the policy I cannot decide anything because it
calls on what you (conference organiser) believe or thinks at that
particular moment.

Jose is known for crude humour in the GNU style, so not to be expelled
from the event he has to assume that his presentation is in violation
of the policy, because many GNU jokes _are_ offensive to people -- all
from the virgin Emacs, to enjoying rhinophytonecrophilia, to
St. IGNUcius blessing your computer -- people find the Free Software
song offensive!

Just to take and quote yet another joke from the Fun pages,
https://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/dna.html, this to would get you kicked
out at any conference as well.

/* Revision history:
 *
 * 0000-00-01 00:00  1.0  Adam.
 * 0000-00-02 10:00  1.1  Eve.
 * 0000-00-03 02:11  1.2  Added penis code to male version. A bit messy --
 *                        will require a rewrite later on to make it neater.
 * 0017-03-12 03:14  1.3  Added extra sex drive to male.h; took code from
 *                        elephant-dna.c
 * 0145-10-03 16:33  1.4  Removed tail.
 * 1115-00-31 17:20  1.5  Shortened forearms, expanded brain case.
 * 2091-08-20 13:56  1.6  Opposable thumbs added to hand() routine.
 * 2501-04-09 14:04  1.7  Minor cosmetic improvements -- skin colour made
 *                        darker to match my own image.
 * 2909-07-12 02:21  1.8  Dentition inadequate; added extra 'wisdom' teeth.
 *                        Must remember to make mouth bigger to compensate.
 * 4501-12-31 14:18  1.9  Increase average height.
 * 5533-02-12 17:09  2.0  Added gay option, triggered by high population
 *                        density, to try and slow the overpopulation problem.
 * 6004-11-04 16:11  2.1  Made forefinger narrower to fit hole in centre of
 *                        CD.
 */