ghm-discuss

Re: [Ghm-discuss] The posh talk does not complain with the policy

From: John Gilmore
Subject: Re: [Ghm-discuss] The posh talk does not complain with the policy
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 15:11:01 -0700

>>>    "Offensive or overly explicit sexual language or imagery is
>>>     inappropriate during the event, including presentations. [...]"

If I had to guess, I'd say that this is part of a long-term conversation
in the GNU community about what makes it a welcoming or unwelcoming
place for women who hack free software.

At various points in that conversation, people will be excessive in
various directions.  The goal is to try to bring the conversation to
one with less drama for all parties.  Of course, this year's policy
may not have succeeded, if some people want to leave in a huff, but
the community is listening, and will keep evolving it over time.

I for one have known some great women hackers.  I would like to see
more of them improving our/their free software.  To make that more
likely, I am happy to raise the level of consciousness within the
community, about how we communicate and how we can improve our
communication.

As Tom Jennings suggested many years ago in the FIDOnet creed,
paraphrased, "Don't try to annoy other people.  Don't try to be easily
annoyed."  Within those wide boundaries, let's chat!

        John